- Level: Entry-mid level
- Job Location: Roseville, MN
- Position Type: Full-time
- Education Level: Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Salary Range: Undisclosed
- Travel Percentage: 10%
- Job Shift: Not applicable
- Job Category: Finance - Analysis
Essential Job Functions
Client Project & Fiscal Analysis
Conceptualize projects to determine how to translate existing financial information into plans and analyses that will meet client objectives.
Utilize client planning documents and adopted plans, financial statements, budgets, and client-directed assumptions to forecast revenues, expenditures, cash balances, and funding requirements for governmental and enterprise funds.
Work with internal teams of Municipal Advisors, client staff and other consultants to achieve client policy directives. Evaluate timing and financial impacts of capital improvements, operational changes, and financing scenarios for governmental and enterprise funds, as well as estimated impacts to taxpayers and system users
Prepare reports and presentations that provide narrative detail and financial forecasts including evaluations of specific financial risk, financing options, rate setting options, tax impacts and projected results.
Present work products at meetings with client administrative personnel and governing bodies with and without other Ehlers staff.
Tax Increment Financing Analysis & Reporting
Prepare various tax increment financing (TIF) scenarios and financial analyses for governmental and enterprise funds.
Prepare and verify client TIF reporting forms submitted annually to the Minnesota Office of the State Auditor (OSA).
Review TIF documents, accounting records, eligible costs and supporting documents to determine compliance with Minnesota regulations. Identify discrepancies and work with Municipal Advisors, clients, OSA officials and others to resolve or remediate.
Prepare reports, cash flow statements and projections for proposed and existing Tax Increment Districts.
Prepare various calculations for TIF financing arrangements in accordance with applicable development agreements and other stated obligations.
Assist with preparation of all or portions of client TIF district plans.
Team Contributions & Professional Development
Develop and improve Excel and Word financial modeling templates, reports and other work products.
Monitor, evaluate and communicate the impact(s) of changes in state laws and regulatory requirements that affect client finances.
Keep current and knowledgeable on all aspects of the job by independently engaging in learning and training opportunities.
Perform other duties as required to fulfill the mission of the company.
- Perform stationary work 90% of the time using a computer and applicable office equipment.
- Move about inside the office 10% of the time to access files, office equipment and communicate with colleagues.
- 10% travel required throughout MN to client locations to attend evening meetings, as requested.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience with an understanding of generally accepted accounting principles as applied to governmental entities, required.
- Bachelors’ degree in accounting, finance, economics, business, or public administration preferred.
- 3-5 years’ progressive experience in accounting/finance with a focus on government finance and accounting.
- Experience working with governmental financial statements, preferred.
- Fundamental understanding of governmental accounting concepts and principles.
- Comprehension of property and other tax systems and user-fee based enterprise systems, such as public utilities.
- Ability to analyze financial and other data to develop feasible solutions, clearly outlining both quantitative and qualitative considerations to offer recommendation(s) to clients.
- Well-developed interpersonal and written communication skills that create and maintain positive relationships with clients, teammates, and other professionals.
- Clear demonstration of effective problem-solving skills.
- Ability to understand relationships between budgets and actual financial performance and sensitivity analysis required for financial forecasts.
- Excellent PC skills utilizing Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and database programs.
- Exceptional attention to detail, care, and accuracy in completing tasks.
- Able to proof and edit spreadsheets and documents so that they are grammatically correct and free of mathematical, structural, and organizational errors.
- Able to manage multiple work activities and assignments. Prioritize tasks and organize workflow so that deadlines are met, and essential, time-sensitive work is completed.
- Seek opportunities for business development.
- Continuously identify and execute on opportunities for process and technological improvements.
- Recognize and pursue opportunities for professional development.
- Actively contribute in a team environment to achieve individual, team, and company goals.
- Collaborate with Ehlers’ team members and clients to complete projects on-time and on-budget.